Monday, October 1, 2012

Tribes


Seth Godin’s book Tribes was very interesting. Instead of reading it on paper, we listened
to it on audiobook. This was a new experience for me. It was my first audiobook listened
to. I had mixed reviews about the whole audiobook situation. I liked how I was able to
hear Godin’s intonation when he read the story himself. It was also nice to be able to
listen to the book and do some other things at the same time. However, I found it very
difficult to take in because I did not have a paper to look at and highlight. I am so used to
reading with paper instead of paperless that it took me listening several times to capture
the entire quote that resonated with me. As a visual person, I like reading from the book
or printed paper better.

Tribes brought up a few good points. I liked how Godin explained how tribes can work
and how important leadership is.I really connected with Godin when he stated “leaders
use passion and ideas to lead people instead of using threats and beaurocracy to manage.”
This really resonated with me as a way I view myself as an educator. I truly teach with
passion and want to make an impact on others lives/ I am not forcing the children to
learn just providing a pathway for them to grow and develop using the best practices, my
curiosity,change,innovation and a positive attitude.

In one part Godin tells a story of overhearing a couple criticize him for checking his
email at a hotel while on vacation. His response was: "I think the real question -- the
one they probably wouldn't want to answer -- was, 'Isn't it sad that we have a job where
we spend two weeks avoiding the stuff we have to do fifty weeks a year?' It took me a
long time to figure out why I was so happy to be checking my email in the middle of the
night. It had to do with passion. Other than sleeping, there was nothing I'd rather have
been doing in that moment -- because I'm lucky enough to have a job where I get to make
change happen."
I agree with Godin -- I consider myself lucky to do what I get to do, and as a result, I'm
passionate about it. As a leader, I want to do everything that I can to make that passion
infectious.

I also liked the point the author made that not many people start leading because they
are afraid to stand out, be different, get noticed. They are afraid to get noticed because
they are afraid of criticism. But without criticism you cannot make it big. Criticism, Seth
Godin claims, is a good thing. It gets you noticed.

I personally found this book interesting. I gained value from it because it encouraged me
to be more creative in terms of bringing like-minded people together.

1 comment:

  1. Lindsay,
    Similar to yourself, I found Seth Godin's point about criticism to be very interesting. I have typically chalked up the reason that people don't like to "stand-out" is because of FEAR. I like how Godin broke down the concept of fear, into the actual underlying concept of the fear of CRITICISM. I think that classroom is a place where constructive criticism and revision and feedback can take place. So that students will stop "sheep-walking" and hopefully become real leaders.

    ReplyDelete