Sunday, September 23, 2012

Learning in New Media Environments

What does Learning in New Media Environments mean to me?

Mike Wesch's video really intrigued me and got me thinking about how mass participation in the 21st century technology world can be best promoted, both individually and in the classroom. As Wesch explained, changes from the media affect a "whole society."As I saw(in the video) with New Guinea and the introduction of the census book media, I think technology is doing a similar thing to our society. I think as an individual and an educator this media can be very effective if promoted and used the right way. I think we need to be ready for this change and put our best foot forward. Wesch's idea of children being more "knowledge able" resonated with me as well. Technology use, especially the Ipads,ipods and laptops, allow teacher to tap into children's multiple intelligences and learn 21st century skills.

As a teacher, this concept of being familiar and comfortable with what is shaping society(currently technology) is very important for people to be successful. Integrating technology into the classroom has really changed the way students see learning. They are now becoming active learners in their own learning process and technology is in a sense individualizing education.As an educator, I do all I can to make children feel comfortable and be able to use their critical learning skills. I recognize I am still a learner and am learning best practices for children and technology has become one of them. Technology may be "rewriting society" but I also believe as an individual, teacher and leader that it is enhancing it as well through networks, connections, and the higher order thinking skills promoted(analyzing, synthesizing, criticizing,and creating).I also found Wesch's comment on moving children from being "knowledgeable to knowledge able" very important and a statement that should be valued. To me education should be something that is lifelong,applicable and not something that is short term and forgotten. Our new media, technology, really breaks down the term understand( being able to analyze, criticize,synthesize,etc) and helps children become 21st century literate citizens. Children become active learners in their education and learn through/in hands on, interactive ways(applications) that hopefully promote intrinsic motivation for children and life long learners that truly understand( longterm) and can apply their learning to real life. As an individual and educator who is impacting this and next generations children, I am fully onboard the technology train and hope to promote success in all ways possible.

2 comments:

  1. I think the most important thing is that you recognize that change is needed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsay,

    I'm with you 110%! It's almost as if he had a list of Bloom's taxonomy in front of him when talking about his class' interest in only obtaining knowledge and understanding. I wholly agree that it's all about thinking critically, but that doesn't seem to be the direction in which society is heading with "just-in-time information", being provided to us without us making an effort at all to determine the truth and accuracy, what to think of any ramifications it might follow our choices that we make based on that flow of information. We seem to be getting closer and closer to information retrieval: first our computers being steps away, our cell phones being a pocket away, and upcoming Google Glass, being a glance away. When will there be time for thought? Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete