Sunday, October 28, 2012

Math Matters

Math Matters Article

"Why do I need to learn this?"

When it comes to math, I have heard this so many times from many students in the upper elementary to high school level. I admit, I even asked this question when I was growing up as well.What happens sometime sis that students are not taught the reasons why math helps them thus children do not see the significance of learning math. They just see math as equations, and problems to solve and outcomes are the things that educators mainly focus on. This is how I saw math growing up.  However, as the article by Cindy Donladson above states, it is much more.It was not until I began studying math more and teaching it that I realized how important and valuable it is.Donaldson's answer to this common question is "“Because knowing math will keep as many doors as possible open in your future.” She is right! She discusses that math is very important and it matters in three ways :personal,patriotic and patriotic ways. Personal and Practical ways why math matters resonated with me the most.



The Personal way that resonated with me the most was that math helps develop our problem solving skills. There is a process to solving equations an this process is very similar to how we solve everyday problems in our lives. Math is important because it helps our brains think logically. It "helps us define the problem solving steps". 

Practically math is everywhere. Without it, life would be chaotic. I use math when buying things, cooking, at restaurants, making clothes, and even buying houses. When do you use math during the day?? It is hard for me to think of sometime when math is not used.

Math matters a lot to me. As educators,parents,and friends  i believe there should not be a fear or boredom of math but many ways to celebrate its importance and this importance and value should start by teachers explaining why math matters. No more "why do I need to learn this?" but rather "Math helps me and I enjoy it!."Lets change our view on math to one of importance and excitement.

What do you think about this? Agree/disagree? What does math mean to you?




3 comments:

  1. I totally agree, math is every where, Yet the students must see the bigger picture, we as educators must show them what is beyond the equation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I have been in the classroom for my fifth year, it has become more and more apparent to me that we need to change the way we teach math. I am working on teaching math conceptually to my students, as opposed to the normal drill and kill you see in many different classrooms.

    I have seen the engagement of my students go up significantly and their scores have improved overall. This is going to be my action research (most likely).

    So math is very important to me, it is everywhere and a central part of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your post about math. I think that a similar question is asked about why why need to learn history. I think that the bottom line is that both utilize critical thinking skills, and it is these critical thinking skills that are used in everyday life.

    ReplyDelete