Sunday, October 14, 2012

Twenty Percent Project

Twenty percent project? When I first heard this term I thought it involved something with math and was kind of nervous, because math is not one of my strong points. When I heard it was about creating my own project involving technology, I became very excited. This idea came from google. Google lets its employers spend twenty percent of their time(approximately one day a week)focusing on their own projects in which they are passionate about. I think this allows for creativity, exploration and a non stressful time.

For my twenty percent project, I have three different options in mind. They are: 

1. Learning Sign language.
This is something i have always wanted to learn before. As  I become more involved in my career, I have seen how sign language in education can be beneficial for young children. It can help them remember their letters, numbers,communicate their wants and needs if they do not know how to say a word, and is a new adventure for a child to take. 



2.Create my own Math videos for pre-kindergarten
As technology is becoming more and more popular, teaching from the book is seen as old school. Children are becoming more comfortable with using Ipads or watching videos and it is seen to help them more efficiently learn concepts. I have noticed that my pre-kindergarten children love watching educational videos, playing educational games on the ipad and are more engaged with technology then ever before. Math is my focus so I was thinking maybe creating some math videos would help my students learn math easier..

3. Guitar
Playing an instrument has always been something I havre been curious about. I tried playing the guitar briefly this past January, took some lessons but then stopped because I did not have much time to practice. Now that I am able to spend some time on my own project, learning the guitar through instructional videos may just help me and spark my interest in guitar again.


6 comments:

  1. All good options! I like the first two though, especially the sign language one. Seems practical and could be very useful in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsay,
    I agree with Maureen. Sign Language is a great classroom tool, plus, you'd be able to utilize in all grades. Since you are still looking for your own classroom, I'd go with something that is adaptable to so many ages and curricula.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsay, I saw a product demoed at work that could really tie-in with your Math instruction idea. Voicethread is a very cool tool that allows you to record voice and video easily to tell a story. It also has a feature which seems to be something like a slate, where you could write the math and narrate as you do. It could work out quite well! Best of luck! Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the learning sign language idea, and its application in education. My brother actually taught himself a significant amount of sign language by just using online resources. So it seems like this would be a pretty feasible project, that can have long-term results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. learning the signs is a good idea and it will have more meaning if you work with someone who need it..

    ReplyDelete

  6. Lindsay,

    All three projects are completely doable and cool. The sign language you can find via YouTube videos for sure, the same is true for playing guitar. As for the math videos check out "Educreation" and "Inkflow" They are both easy to use apps for ipad, etc. that might help you create these math videos.

    ReplyDelete