Monday, November 19, 2012

Creating a Culture of Can

Culture of Can Article


As I was looking through tweetdeck this morning, I found an interesting tweet that lead me to an article titled "Creating a Culture of Can." This article explains that we should not only teach to learners but these learners should be" enabled" learners. As expressed in the article, "An enabled learner can grasp macro views, uncover micro details, ask questions, plan for new knowledge and transfer thinking across divergent circumstances." I think this is an interesting concept and believe it to be true. Instead of hearing I can't do this from my students, I always tell them to say I will try.Nothing is impossible. The word itself says I'm possible :). But how do we create this culture of can in our classrooms, at home and in society? This is the big question.the article states three ways .

The three ways to create" can"
1. Using a gradual release of responsibility method: I think this has been effective for me because it at the beginning shows the learner how to do things, give guidance and then let's him/her try it on their own. One of the tools that helps me create this gradual release is using graphic organizers to help differentiate and organize information. This serves as a guide at first and then eventually my learners become independent and responsible for the concept. I really think allowing a student to be responsible for his/ her learning is one of the most important things to value In Order to create curiosity and a culture of can.

2. Using the individual student as a culture maker: Learning about your students,and getting to know their habits leads to a positive classroom environment. Creating a culture or classroom community can help other children want to learn and say I can.

3.Diverse and authentic terms for success:Allowing the students choice and self published and designed projects is important for a culture of can. It makes learning more student centered rather than teacher directed.

Gradual release is what I am trying to work on in my classroom to create this culture of can. I hope to achieve positive results.

What do you think of this? How have you creating enabled learners or students who say I can or I will try instead of I can't?

5 comments:

  1. I like you're "I'm possible" response to the "I can't"s. :) I think that fostering this positive, I-can-do-it type of attitude is super important in the classroom for creating the problem solvers of the future. If a student shuts down on me and says I can't, I try to find the time to make sure they get a little extra guided support from me to get them started. Often once they get a little positive reinforcement that they are on the right track they will realize that they do in fact know how to approach the problem and will continue working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I like point #3 the best: "Diverse and authentic terms for success." Students "I can't responses can quickly be changed into more of a question of "how can I?" For example if a student feels they are hitting a wall, because they study for several hours and never get the results they think they should get on exams. Instead of saying "I can't" pass my exams, the statement should be turned into "how can I change my studying to help me pass my exams?" The diversity in learners needs to be addressed in every facet of learning and teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea of cultivating this "I can" attitude in schools. I think it takes a really good and skillful teacher to change those "I can'ts" to "I cans." As teachers we need to learn that a student's "I can't" is direct evidence that we are not doing our jobs and that if they are succeeding we need to learn to give THEM credit for it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. building a community in the class will help to build I can environment. They will feel that even if they couldn't, even if they failed and didn't succeed they will still b accepted

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some thoughts on "I can't"...One thing I say to my students frequently is to please trust me. When they pull out the old "can't chant" I remind them that I know them and care about them, and have high expectations of them. But - my expectations are always grounded in knowing what they are capable of accomplishing. I ask them if they think that I'd give them work they can't do. Why would I do that?
    Once they get used to the fact that I am only asking them to work hard, not do the undoable, they are willing to try. Knowing that they are believed to be capable sows capability.
    Great post, Lindsay.

    ReplyDelete