Monday, December 10, 2012

20 Percent project completion

Over the past few weeks, I have taken an interest of mine,sign language, and started to learn it more in depth. More importantly, some of these words,phrases,numbers and letters may be used in a classroom to help with communication. I have had fun learning sign language and have found it at times difficult. It is not an easy language to learn but I can now say I can speak three languages:English, Spanish and ASL( not fluently though). The Marlee Signs app for my Ipad is what I used mostly. This app became very helpful because it allowed me to see the signs in mini videos in which I could put on slow motion. I also found Pinterest very helpful because it gave me a plethora of resources to look and and help me. The ASL online dictionary provided a way for me to type in any word and see how it is signed. The hardest part about learning sign language was the  the amount of time i spent trying to learn how to sign different words. There are so many different and gestures which altered in the smallest way can mean a whole new word. I also found it awkward at first to video myself because I was not sure which way to face my hand so that the viewer would best be able to see my signs. All in all, learning sign language is very fun and will become useful in my teaching. I have already taught my class the numbers, the sign for drink,bathroom and help me. We use these signs all the time as a way of communicating without being disruptive or calling out. I am planning on continuing to learn more sign language and continue with this new found passion of mine :)I hope you like the videos!

Here is the link to the youtube channel in which I put my videos up on. At the end is my final 20 Percent ASL video.

Youtube Channel










1 comment:

  1. Nice Lindsay! this is incredible :) You are so lucky to be able to communicate with your hands, what a beautiful and noble accomplishment :)

    ReplyDelete